Hey, we're glad to have you back in Koizuma!
Talking about beauty (of course, that’s why you’re here), in today's world, the beauty industry has seen a tremendous surge in popularity. From skincare to IPL hair removal, so many treatments and products are available for consumers to choose from.
One of the most popular beauty treatments on the rise is IPL hair removal. IPL stands for "intense pulsed light" and is a form of light-based hair removal that has become increasingly popular in recent years.
IPL hair removal is an excellent way to get rid of unwanted hair for good. Melanin in the hair follicle draws light to it, and once the light hits the melanin, the hair follicle is destroyed and can no longer produce new hairs. Consequently, you can get permanent hair removal that is gentle on your skin and quite effective.
If you're here because you’re considering IPL hair removal, you're in luck! With at-home devices now advanced enough to rival professional treatments, you can find out all the expert information you need to make an informed decision on this method of hair removal.
Here, we'll outline all you need to know to perform IPL hair removal at home, from where to get the equipment to when you may expect to see results from the sessions.
Why IPL hair removal needs your attention
IPL hair removal is an advanced therapy that may remove hair from your entire body, though you can use it on specific areas like your arms, legs, or pubic region.
IPL requires a handheld flashgun to deliver a specific light spectrum to the skin. Melanin is the main target of these photons, which lets them go deeper into the hair follicle and hurt important structures there. It's not painful like waxing or intrusive like laser hair removal, and it doesn't irritate your skin.
Still need convincing? Here are some of the best things about IPL compared to other ways to get rid of hair:
- After shaving, IPL hair removal can be done at home by applying gentle bursts of light around the areas you want to be treated.
- How does IPL treatment develop, and what are its long-term effects? Using IPL repeatedly prevents hair from growing back because it slows down the hair-growth cycle.
- You shouldn't shave for a few weeks before epilating or waxing to get rid of your hair. This can result in stubble, which could be better if you plan a beach trip to show off your new bathing suit.
- Fortunately, with IPL, you won't have to worry about this, as shaving is recommended before treatment.
- Shaving before an IPL hair removal session clears the way for the laser light to target the hair follicle.
- When you continue your IPL treatments, you will find that you need to shave less frequently. Because the hair follicles are empty, you should experience reduced stubble and ingrown hairs.
- Unlike waxing or threading, which can irritate the skin, IPL treatment helps to improve its texture.
IPL hair removal at home: how does it function?
Debbie Thomas, a specialist in facial aesthetics and laser surgery, explains that some clients initially confuse IPL with laser because the two can perform identical procedures.
Both work by focusing light on the pigment in the hair, which causes a burst of heat that either kills or damages the cells that make hair grow. Thomas explains that the light that comes out of an IPL device is absorbed by the pigment in the hair, leading to a buildup of energy that then converts into heat.
"The heat radiates down the hair shaft, damaging or killing the cells responsible for hair growth at its base," she added. Hannah English, a beauty expert, also said that with regular IPL treatments, the pulsed light will stop hair from growing back through the skin's surface.
"That implies you'll get results similar to in-salon laser hair removal with regular use," she said.
What does it feel like? Does it hurt?
It's common for people to report a warming or tingling feeling on their skin during at-home IPL hair removal treatments. Depending on your pain threshold, it may be slightly annoying or unpleasant.
A numbing cream can be applied before treatment for certain patients who find it helps lessen the discomfort. The therapy should only cause the sensation to last a few seconds and not create any lasting pain or discomfort.
What are the advantages of at-home IPL hair removal?
Experts say that using at-home IPL hair removal has many benefits. Here are some of the most enormous benefits:
- Convenience: One of the best things about IPL hair removal at home is its convenience. You don't have to make an appointment with a professional to get the treatment. Also, you can do it in the comfort of your own home. This makes it a good choice for people who are always on the go.
- Cost-effective: IPL hair removal at home is a much cheaper alternative to laser hair removal treatments done by a professional. You don't have to pay for a technician since you can do it yourself.
- Long-Term Results: If you keep using the device regularly, you should see long-term results. This is a good option for people who want to get rid of body hair.
- Safety: Getting rid of hair with IPL at home is generally considered safe. But it's important to read the instructions that come with the device and use it correctly.
- Painless: Unlike other ways to get rid of hair, IPL hair removal doesn't hurt much. This is because the light is gentle and doesn't hurt the skin.
Among the many advantages of IPL, English cites the convenience. Many of us are time-starved these days, and at-home IPL solutions can be included in your beauty routine with little to no disruption.
Quality home devices are fast and effective. Removing unwanted hair is a quick and painless process." "Honestly, I can do both legs in under 5 minutes."
What do we need to know before using an IPL machine at home?
For IPL to work, our hair needs to be in the "growth" phase and attached to the follicle in the growth phase. Before using an IPL machine at home, you need to shave all the hair you can see in the area you want to treat.
This is done so that the hair doesn't stick out but stays in the follicle. Before you start IPL, we strongly suggest doing a patch test to see how your skin reacts to the treatment.
How effective is IPL hair removal at home, and what can we do to get the best results?
After 3 IPL hair removal treatments, you will see a big difference in the amount of hair in the treated area. You may also notice that the thickness of each hair follicle gets thinner.
After the third treatment, many people say that the hair in the treated area is much sparser and lighter than before. Some people may even be permanently hair-free after three treatments. However, depending on the person's skin and hair type, they may need more treatments to get rid of their hair for good.
English also said that the effectiveness of the treatment depends on how often it is done, how much energy it puts out, the color of the skin, and the color of the hair. To get the best results, I always prepare my skin beforehand. "This means always shaving, exfoliating, and moisturizing."
How to get the most out of your IPL hair removal sessions?Be ready for your IPL procedure:
- Be sure to shave the area you plan to treat thoroughly
- Dry your hands
- Incorporate your Silk-knowledgeable IPL
- Make sure the IPL nozzle is touching the skin the whole time
- To treat more expansive areas, such as the legs, you should switch to gliding mode, holding down the button and slowly moving the IPL along the skin
- When treating tiny areas like the armpits, switch to Stamp Mode for pinpoint accuracy
- Use the gentle setting for delicate areas like the pubic region or when just starting
- After each use, wipe the nozzle with a damp cloth
- Every week for up to 12 weeks, you can have another treatment. You can easily change your routine to fit your needs, maybe once a month, as you see your hairline slowly getting thinner
- Use a moisturizer twice a day to keep your skin from drying out
Do-it-yourself IPL or professional laser hair removal?
Permanent hair removal is possible with both IPL (intense pulsed light) devices that you can use at home and laser hair removal machines that you can use in a salon. However, these two methods can be used in different ways.
IPL equipment made for use at home is usually smaller and has weaker light pulses than equipment used in salons. This means they are most effective when applied to small body parts, such as the upper lip, chin, and armpits.
Although they can save you a lot of money compared to professional laser hair removal, the effects may take longer, and you may need more sessions to see a noticeable difference.
The laser machines used in salons are much stronger and bigger than the IPL machines used at home. More significant body parts, such as legs, arms, back, and chest, respond better to their effects.
IPL machines used at home don't have as strong a solid pulse as salon laser equipment, so it takes fewer treatments to get the same results. Unfortunately, they usually cost more than DIY methods.
Permanent hair removal can be done with either an IPL device you use at home or a professional laser machine, so choosing the right one for your needs is important.